The Returned Sailors & Soldiers Imperial League of Australia, NSW Branch, (as it was then known) granted a charter of membership to the Hornsby Sub-Branch on 16 June, 1919.
The RSL evolved as a direct result of the camaraderie, concern and mateship shown by the "Diggers" for the welfare of their mates during and after the 1914 - 1918 War. That ethos of compassion and service remains today the motivating influence of the League.
In June 1916 The Returned Soldiers' League became The Returned Sailors' & Soldiers' Imperial League.
From 1915 to 1919, states had their own "Returned Soldiers' Associations" or RSA. These were incorporated into the Returned Sailors' & Soldiers' Imperial League as state branches, from which local sub-branches were formed.
Since that time the RSL has undergone several name changes which reflect both the changing face of Australia's defence forces and RSL membership.
-1941: Returned Sailors', Soldiers' and Airmen Imperial League
-1966: Returned Services League
-1990: Returned and Services League
The original certificate of charter membership is currently displayed in the boardroom of the Hornsby War Memorial Hall.
The photo to the left is of the original minute book of the Hornsby RSL Sub-Branch.
The first meeting of the Sub-Branch took place on Monday June 16, 1919.
At this meeting, six veterans of the 'Great War', who had served their country with great distinction, were appointed office holders as follows:
President: W. Prentice
Secretary: A. Law
Treasurer: J. Hordern
Committee: H. Clark, C. Davis, J. Higgins
The original minute book of the Hornsby RSL Sub-Branch is on display (along with other memorabilia) in the war memorial cabinets at the Hornsby RSL Club.